Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Day TWENTY-SIX - I Kings 16 - 2 Kings 4

Day 23: 2 Samuel 13 - 2 Samuel 21
Day 24: 2 Samuel 22 - 1 Kings 7
Day 25 : 1 Kings 8 - 1 Kings 15

I have gotten behind, but am trying to keep going. I skipped some days - and adjusted the plan. This week, I am back on track. 

We had an interesting discussion regarding "original sin" in a Bible Class recently. We were discussing John 9, and the blind man Jesus healed in that passage. The Pharisees were questioning the man who could now see, and they assumed he had been a sinner since birth, because he had been born blind. In my class, it seemed like the majority thought  that the Pharisees were inexplicably superstitious. However, in my reading of the Old Testament, I can understand why followers of the Law would assume a physical ailment was the consequence of sin and rejection of God's law. God gave physical consequences over and over when His people turned from Him. And, in the case of Solomon and Ahab, if a man turned back to God in the final years of his life, God pushed the consequence forward to the children. In this way, the children were born into the sin of their fathers. 

This is hard for me to swallow, but I trust God, and as I mention in almost every post: I am looking forward to and longing for scripture about Jesus!


1 comment: